Friday, September 20, 2013

Raiding Semantics



  So far my raiding experiences in the new patch have consisted solely of doing flex raids with varying sized guild groups.  My first impression is that the flex level raids are between easy and moderate in terms of difficulty.  My guild was able to clear the four bosses in the first wing the week it opened, a pace that is reminiscent of Naxx.  Of course this is only the first wing, and next week will bring the second wing with four new bosses, so it’s a bit early to give a final opinion on how difficult flex raiding is.  I have to say that so far it is a very nice break from the wipefest that ToT was, my raid group spent somewhere in the neighborhood of three weeks and fifty attempts downing Horridon.

   For those of you who don’t know, boss drop loot in flex raids is personal loot, so there are no worries about rolling against other raid members.  There are trash drops as well, and these drops are not personal loot.  For once fortune has smiled on me, and from our first week of raiding I walked away with a new tanking mace (it’s even itemized correctly) and a tier chest (I chose the tanking version).  On top of this I grabbed a 535 tanking helm from my adventures on the timeless isle and bought some DPS pants with valor points.  I can assure you that I almost never get gear at this rate, so this is a pleasant change from the endless failbags and gold from a whole patch’s worth of LFR.

    It is now time to turn to the main theme of this post, the semantics of raiding.  Many of you have probably been in guilds that field two (or more) raid teams.  My current guild has two raid teams as have several of my previous guilds.  Some guilds name their teams, most simply refer to them as ‘Raid Group One’ and ‘Raid Group Two’.  My guild used to follow the later convention, and for the curious, I am in group two.  As of late, there is a new regime in town in my guild, no longer are we groups one and two, we are now ‘Team Jade’ and ‘Team Red’.  This change is not some random whim on the part of the guild’s leadership.  It is a refined exercise in semantics.  This change in naming was discussed in chat and the explicit reason given for the change was the group one+group two thing carried the implication that one group was better, superior, more important than the other.  The thing is, that this is the case, group one (excuse me, Team Jade) is superior to gro… err excuse me Team Red.

   Group one is the better group; they are more progressed, have the better players, and they are the more desirable of the two groups to be in. I know, this is a bold assertion, but it’s a true one.  The most obvious indicator of this is the progress of the two groups.  The end of patch 5.3 saw Team Jade frantically making attempts on Lei Shen, the final boss in ToT.  At the same point in time, Team Red was still working on Tortos, the fourth boss in ToT.  This disparity is huge.  Playing word games will not change what is.

   I also discovered the other week that my raid group has not a single guild officer.  That’s raid, the raid leader and her assistant have absolutely no officer powers whatsoever.  I figured this out because the guild bank was locked down with no explanation given (I would imagine someone abused their privileges).  The raid leader had to ask an officer to withdraw food and flasks for the raid.  This is just bad business.  A raid leader should have at least some officer powers, considering they are fulfilling a leadership role.

   It gets even better.  With the advent of the new patch, one of our better raiders was transferred to group one, pardon me, Team Jade.  We already have enough problems filling our roster, so this did not help us in the least.  I cannot help wonder, if raid group two had all the guild leadership in it, would this have happened.  My guess is no.

    I could go on, but you might get the idea that I dislike my guild, and nothing could be farther from the truth.  Despite all the issues I just went on about, I very much enjoy my guild.   I think the issue of disparity between raid groups is common to most guilds that have more than one.  After all, guilds generally don’t spring into existence with a full roster of multiple raid groups.  Guilds start with a handful of people, that coalesce into a raid group.  As time goes on, the guild adds more people, eventually there are too many people for one raid group to accommodate everyone who wishes to raid.  A second group forms, but of course they are a bit behind the power curve.  As time goes on, the inequality increases.  After all, if you were the founding member of a guild that started raiding MSV, and went on to HoF, how excited would you be to suddenly find yourself placed into the newly formed group two to wipe repeatedly on the Stone Guardians?

    The easiest answer to these woes is cross-pollinating the raid groups.  Some of the studs in the 1st group, can occasionally help out folks in the lagging group, while some of the underdogs in G2 can come along with the strong group.  Sadly this rarely happens.  The problem may be too, that there simply are not enough committed raiders to run two separate groups, which means time to start recruiting.

    Enough rambling for now.  Next post I want to talk about pets some more, as I have spent a lot of my last week collecting and leveling new pets, with an eye on the Celestial Tournament.

   Peace.   

No comments:

Post a Comment