Sunday, September 29, 2013

Just a rant


   I admit it, I have been kind of stuck on what I would like to write about regarding guilds.  After several days of reflection, it occurs to me that I have some pretty concrete views (some may say odd) on guild leadership and group dynamics.  I have always felt that guild leadership carries obligations and responsibilities just as real world leadership does.  Just as real world leadership often seems to fail, so too does guild leadership. 

   Let’s start with a post from my own guild.  The names have been changed to protect the innocent, so from here on out I will call my guild ‘The Evolution’, this was actually the name of an old guild my wife spent time in.  Likewise when I refer to specific players I will be using aliases.  So, I am trolling my realm’s forums and stumble across a recruitment post for The Evolution.  The post is written by the guild leader and one quote in particular strikes me right away.  He writes, “You should expect a chance to raid. Either in one of the normal groups (Though Group 1 is filled, to my knowledge), doing LFRs with others, or the upcoming Flex Raiding that we plan to hit as soon as we can”.  Two things strike me right away here.

    First is the whole to my knowledge thing.  I mean this guy is the freaking guild leader, you would think he might have a handle on whether a particular raid group is filled.  If it isn’t filled you would expect him to have exact and specific knowledge on what was needed, such as “we have a high need for healers of any type, a medium need for ranged DPS, particularly an affliction lock…..”  What I read from the recruitment post is the guild leader doesn’t have a terribly firm grip on what roles are needed or the current compositions of the raid groups.  This can only lead to bad things, like recruiting a potential raider, only to give them a bench spot, an ultimately resulting in them leaving.  Bad for the player who wasted his time, bad for the guild that is squandering a potential resource.

   Second is the whole expectations thing.  He launches off with a fairly strong promise, “You should expect a chance to raid.”  So far, so good.  Then he goes on to say that this so-called chance to raid might mean, “doing LFRs with others.”  Not to be a dick, but do I really need to be guilded to run LFR? No.  My whole point in joining a guild is to raid, real raiding.  I can remain solo and run LFRs just fine.  Guilds can and should have expectations of their members.  Likewise members can and should have expectations from their guild.  The whole thing is a two-way street, or should be.

  This comes into the responsibility and obligation part.  Just as guilds and their leaders have expectations of their members, members also have expectations from the guild.  I don’t think too many people commit themselves to a guild for the mere sake of committing themselves to a guild.  When I approached The Evolution I was pretty clear about my expectations, I wanted to raid.  I was given a trial run and told I had a spot in raid groups two at the conclusion of the run, so I know I made my expectations clear.  Things is group two is down to, like four members, so needless to say we don’t currently raid.  All of the guild leadership is in group one, which raids current content three nights a week.  The whole thing I take away from this current state of affairs is that the guild leadership is doing well and having fun and that is all that matters, those outside of group one can fend for themselves.  Well, friends and neighbors, if I wanted to fend for myself, I would not have taken the time to join a guild.  I paid money to server transfer to be in ‘The Evolution’.  I come to raids prepared with flasks and food, I read strats and watch videos for the content we are doing.  I play to the best of my ability.  I contribute feasts to the guild bank.  When the guild wanted guild credit for killing the celestials and needed bodies, I came and helped in two kills, despite the fact I had already done my celestial kill for the week.  Nobody had to tell, ask, beg or order me to do any of these things, I regarded them as my duty and obligation as a good guild member.

    I hardly think I am being unreasonable when I expect that guild leadership will have the same sense of obligation to its rank and file and do right by them.  How can they fix raid group two?  There may be no easy answer, but it would be nice to see they were at least trying.  They could for example try to cross-level folks from the first raid group into our suffering group.  They certainly had no problems grabbing the top DPS out of our group to augment themselves.  God forbid they could even recruit.  At the very least they could be honest and issue a proclamation that might read, “we the leadership are doing well and raiding three nights a week, we don’t really feel like devoting any time and energy to group two, if you have any expectations to the contrary, you may as well go looking for a new home, because you won’t be doing regular raids here”.

    I also looked through some of the recruitment posts from other guilds, to get a sense of what guilds seem to be asking for versus what they feel they are obligated to provide to their rank and file.  One thing that struck me, was some guilds were very one-sided in the loyalty department.  I am speaking of guilds boasting that their raid spots are ‘competitive’.  There is certainly a baseline of skill, gear and performance that a guild should expect from an individual, but once that is met, that individual should be treated as a valued team member.  Competitive raid spots mean that as soon as something better comes along, that player loses their spot.  Guilds certainly don’t want to gear up individuals only to have them move on down the line to bigger and better things, so why would an individual want to work through content only to be bumped off the team when a better player comes along?

   This post has become something of a rant, on top of being delayed far longer than I would have liked.  Time to bring this to some kind of conclusion.  If anyone is actually reading this, I would love to hear your opinions on how long I should ride out things in my current guild (a week? a month?? Head for the hills now???).  Long term commitment and stability are big things to me.  I have been in guild leadership positions before and HATE it when people use the guild to grab gear and experience and then pack up.  No guild wants to gear people to leave.  By the same token, I see little point in remaining in a guild where my desires are going unmet.  If I wasn’t clear earlier, my desires are pretty reasonable.  I want to raid regularly, two or three nights a week.  I want to raid current and relevant content, it doesn’t have to be heroic.  I want to see progression, steady progress is all I want, I am not looking for server firsts.  Pretty middle of the line reasonable expectations.

    Yeah, this is coming to a close, I promise.  Just a little update first.  Last night’s guild flex raid did not take place.  Unless something develops tonight or tomorrow, this means an entire week of NO raiding outside LFR.  Good times, good times.

   Okay, for real, rant button to off.  Next post, no promises, whatever I feel like writing about.  I’ll try to avoid another rant. 

   Peace.   

No comments:

Post a Comment