Monday, October 7, 2013

The Archeology Blues


Archeology is without a doubt, the most boring profession in the game, its even worse than fishing. Watching snails race is more entertaining. This is coming from somebody who actually enjoys farming and understands the purpose of grinding. I picked up the 'Insane” title+achievement pre-cataclysm, and archeology ranks up with that in terms of pain. At least fishing lets you stay in one zone. I swear the taxi guys made a mint from me.


My first Indiana Jones want to be was my shadow-priest Veluna. She went to max cataclysm level, and then I stopped playing her. I repeated the whole process on a paladin, and now I have started again on Kassandra the warrior. I am not sure if Kass will max out or not. I have patience, I deal with LFRs, I have the insane title, but I am not sure I have the patience to go through leveling archeology again.


Thing is I have a rekindled desire for the crawling claw pet and the Qiraji mount. Since Veluna was my first archeologist, It's only fitting she be the one to go digging. Two days later, no mount, no pet. Things about these items, they are both Tol'vir artifacts, and the digsites only spawn in Uldum. This means I spent a lot of time flying the length and breadth of Kalimdor. I didn't keep records, but it seems on the average that you have to go through four or five digsites before one will spawn in Uldum. Not fun. On top of that, these items are ultra-rare. I have read posts here the claim is which rare will surface first is random. After leveling archeology twice, I say this is nonsense, its not random at all. For the Tol'Vir the first rare you will discover is a pendant that allows you to summon a swarm of scarabs. Rare number two is a very date ring (it was good during early Cata, not so much anymore). Yes, posters will deny this, but this has been my experience.


Not all the archeology items are so hard to come by. The pets and mounts from fossil archeology seem to drop no problem, as does the pet from Dwarven sites. This is what, of course, makes the Tol'vir items so attractive, their rarity. Things easily obtained, things that are common, at best they are not valued, at worst they are held in contempt. Case in point, all the negative press on welfare epics. So in the end, I will keep digging, because after all I do have the insane title, so I am just a bit touched.


Not that two days of digging were a total loss. For one, while traversing Tanaris, I noticed there was a sandstorm. I vaguely knew there was some kind of pet in the zone that only came out during sandstorms. Sure enough, I discovered a whole bunch of Silithid Hatchlings waiting to be battled and captured. I was able to snag a rare after a few battles. I also managed to level from 87 to 88, I did a ton of digging, two instances and some pet battles to do it. After tiring of Kalimdor, I decided to continue digging in Northrend, and discovered a Nerubian rare, the puzzle box of Yogg-Saron.


Still two days off archeology have left me physically tired. Its almost as seizure inducing as bad anime.

 
In the future I will do my digging in more manageable chunks. An hour a day or so is more than enough. Blizzard isn't removing any of the archeology rares that I know of, so I have plenty of time. When a grind becomes a true grind, its time to stop and move on to something else. You can always come back to the grind later.

 
This seems shorter than my usual ramblings, but then again its not really a chronicle of Kassandra, its a vignette of an alt. Next time I shall endeavor to remain Kassandra-centric.


Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment